IS JAPAN COOL? TOKYO
Novels of Haruki Murakami
Many of these novels are set in Tokyo. You can visit these locations and experience the world of heroes and heroines from the Murakami novels.
1. Jazz bar, new DUG in Shinjuku, where the hero of Norwegian Wood drinks vodka tonic from noon.
2. Setagaya is the setting for The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, where the hero lives with his wife and cat. The sewer where he looks for his cat is believed to be based on an image of the Funabashi pathway.
3. Inogashira Park, where the heroine of Sputnik Sweetheart goes to read books almost every day.
4. An entertainment district with “many huge digital screens” and a “scramble crossing” — said to be Shibuya — that became the model in After Dark.
5. 1Q84 is set in Koenji, where the hero lives. Key scenes with the heroine occur in a “children’s playground” said to be Koenji Central Park.