IS JAPAN COOL? TOKYO
1. Japanese-style houseboat that serves as a floating restaurant, welcoming guests with gourmet feasts and drinks.
2. These roofed boats were once used as entertainment facilities for aristocrats and feudal lords from the Heian to the Edo eras.
3. Kashikiri-bune (reserved boat) is for group parties while noriai-bune (shared boat) is open to individual customers.
4. Yakatabune travel between ferry points along the Sumida River, stopping at Hamamatsu-cho and Shinagawa, and most round-trip cruises include the Odaiba area. The cruises to view spring sakura (cherry blossom trees) and summer fireworks are very popular.
5. In samurai dramas, yakatabune are an essential setting for conspiratorial gatherings, where villains meet secretly to exchange information.