Hoshinoya Kyoto resort hotel is situated in a beautifully renovated ryokan inn more than a century old. Its first-class omotenashi (hospitality) is appreciated by domestic and overseas tourists alike.
1. Located on a tranquil forested riverbank at the outskirts of Kyoto, Hoshinoya conveys guests to the hotel by exclusive custom-boat service from scenic Arashiyama. Each arrival is welcomed by magical instrumental music featuring Buddhist objects played in the hotel’s own Mizu no Niwa (Water Garden).
2. For guests with contemporary tastes unaccustomed to the traditional Japanese seating manner, Hoshinoya offers luxurious accommodations furnished with its original floor-level “tatami sofa.” You can relax in comfort at a low Japanese table like being seated directly on tatami mats.
3. Strict landscape regulations in the area require preservation of natural scenery and environmental protection. Hoshinoya gardens are tended by experts who also care for Kyoto’s famous Japanese gardens, including one at Nanzen-ji temple.
4. Every room offers a spectacular view of the river, original incense, and a Japanese stationery box. Inside is a calligraphy set complete with a fude (brush), a suzuri (inkstone), and a sumi ink-cake. Sophisticated guests sometimes leave behind poems composed while observing the superb scenery through their windows.
5. An outdoor zashiki is called Kuchu Chaya (Floating Tea Room). From cherry blossoms in spring, to fireflies on summer nights, to vibrant fall foliage and more, guests can savor the beauty of each season that transpires in front of them.