Heading to the Sea of Japan? Or to the mountains surrounding the other three sides?
Fukui’s prime location, with the Sea of Japan to the north and surrounded by mountains on all other sides, means visitors can combine all kinds of outdoor activities with city sightseeing. One spot very popular in summer is Mizushima Island, also popularly known as the “Hawaii of the Hokuriku region.” Located at the tip of the Tsuruga Peninsula, this uninhabited island boasts beautiful beaches. Only in summer do boats depart for Mizushima. The highly transparent waters provide some great scuba diving too.
Free of snow, the slopes become a massive playground.
If you enjoy activities from spring to autumn, why not visit SKIJAM Katsuyama? But it’s not ski season, you may object! Well, when free of snow the slopes turn into a vast lawn area. Visitors can try Segway riding, horse riding, miniature golf, mountain biking, and more. Cleanse your spirit and move your body in natural surroundings! Sky and mountain combine here to make a fantastic, unexpected playground.
Ski western Japan’s biggest slopes in winter.
Skiing is still the winter activity of choice in the Hokuriku region. SKIJAM Katsuyama boasts the largest skiing slope in all western Japan, with the longest runway distance of 5,800m. There are 3 mountain parks with a total of 12 courses. Enjoy the different inclines and angles of each slope. The Sea of Japan may be close, but snowfall is abundant here. This ski resort is sure to satisfy all skiers—from beginner to advanced.
- Mizushima, Tsuruga-shi, Fukui-ken
- 0770-22-1352 (Ohmi Marine Tsuruga office)
- One-way ferry fare is 700 yen.
- Komatsu Airport is a 1-hour flight from Haneda Airport. Fukui Station is about 1 hour by shuttle bus from Komatsu Airport. Tsuruga Station is 32 minutes by limited express train from Fukui Station. Irogahama is 30 minutes by bus from Tsuruga Station. Get off at Irogahama and walk for 3 minutes. Mizushima is a 10-minute ferry ride from the Irogahama pier.
- 170-70 Katsuyama, Katsuyama-shi, Fukui-ken
- Komatsu Airport is a 1-hour flight from Haneda Airport. Fukui Station is about 1 hour by shuttle bus from Komatsu Airport. Ski Jam Katsuyama is 1 hour by direct bus from Fukui Station.