A release from gravity!? A truly bizarre theme park.
Set in one corner of Yoro Park, famous for the Yoro waterfall, is a fantastic theme park. Here artist Shusaku Arakawa and poet Madeline Gins realized their bold and reckless 30-year vision with the Site of Reversible Destiny—Yoro Park. Spreading across about 18,000 square meters, the site consists of a main pavilion called the Critical Resemblance House and the vast bowl-like Elliptical Field. Once you enter, you will not be able to hide your surprise at the Site’s scale and the various mysterious objects within.
Artworks are scattered all over the Site.
Near the entrance is the Site of Reversible Destiny Yoro Park Memorial, where commentaries and overview diagrams will help you understand this project. The Critical Resemblance House, the roof of which is shaped like a map of Gifu Prefecture, is a maze inside, with furniture attached to walls, ceiling and floor. Enter this maze and be transported to a realm of illusion, losing all sense of the parallel. The vast site of the Elliptical Field is dotted with various pavilions, each one a segment of the Critical Resemblance House, as well as 148 winding paths, areas of rocks stacked on concrete, and various other surprises.
Athletic art allows adults to play in earnest.
When visiting the Site of Reversible Destiny—Yoro Park, even adults are hit by the feeling that they want to start running. Reverting to childhood feelings, they’re inspired to jump and fly. You never know what will happen at the site, but you just want to keep moving. The artist Shusaku Arakawa has attempted here to re-awaken the original human senses. While moving your body, you feel the earth's gravity and you build a relationship within space. It can be described as an artistic, athletic experience that is unprecedented in the world.
- 1298-2 Takabayashi, Yoro-cho, Yoro-gun, Gifu-ken
- Opening hours
- 9 A.M. – 5 P.M.
- Mondays, and all during the winter period
- 750 yen
- Chubu Centrair International Airport is a 1-hour flight from Haneda Airport.
- Chubu Centrair International Airport is a 100-minute flight from Sapporo’s New Chitose Airport.
- Chubu Centrair International Airport is a 75-minute flight from Sendai Airport.
- Chubu Centrair International Airport is a 65-minute flight from Matsuyama Airport.
- Meitetsu Gifu Station is 1 hour via Kintetsu limited express train from Chubu Centrair International Airport.
- Yoro Station is about 50 minutes from Meitetsu Gifu Station.
- Yoro Park is a 5-minute walk from Yoro Station.